Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Is the OWS movement being slyly manipulated?
It seems like OWS is acquiescing to calls to "hone their message" rather than keep their protest more about generic social and economic inequality and injustice. (Which I believe is a far more effective strategy judging from the rapid, global spread of the movement.)
By caving in to media and elitist demands that they specifically define and communicate their grievances (we've all heard the idiotic and phony, "What are they protesting about?" lines), they are rapidly destroying their efficacy, at least in my opinion.
When they declare one of their goals to be "Bringing down the deficit and the debt," they are clearly speaking, unkowingly perhaps, against their own interests. Screw the debt! This is about inequality and the entrenched policies that sustain it! The debt is not the problem!
When they start talking about reducing the debt they are buying into the same propaganda that the 1% has used so effectively to sustain the flow of income and wealth directly their way at the expense of the other 99%.
That being said, I did see this one sign (h/t Ritholtz blog) that correctly sums up at least one grievance (albeit a very large one). I thought I'd share.
If that doesn't clearly state one of the bigger problems, then I don't know what does.