Sunday, June 13, 2021

While many people have a 'vivid' mind's eye, others have none at all

 All my life I have been able to visualize things quite easily, but 10 years ago I discovered to my surprise that many people can't. I put out a post here around a year ago where Jordan Peterson was saying that a third of the population think in pictures, a third think in words, and the last third think in both, which is what I do. In this article it even says that some people, although rare, are unable to play music in their heads either. 


Over the 16 years since that first patient, Zeman and his colleagues have heard from more than 12,000 people who say they don’t have any such mental camera. The scientists estimate that tens of millions of people share the condition, which they’ve named aphantasia, and millions more experience extraordinarily strong mental imagery, called hyperphantasia.


Deccan Herald 


While many people have a 'vivid' mind's eye, others have none at all-all-995054.html

4 comments:

Peter Pan said...

Depends on the picture.

I have a jukebox in my head that gets broken sometimes, and then it plays the same tune over and over.

Kaivey said...

Earworm.

I kept playing Absolute Beginners by David Bowie and near the end is the crescendo where he is bellowing and the music is souring, and it got stuck in my head for days. I daren't play it again.

Ralph Musgrave said...

I have tunes going around in my head, but luckily a particular tune lasts only a day or two, then the juke box inside my head plays another one, which is nice.

Peter Pan said...

This song is currently stuck in my jukebox. You've been warned!
Ladyhawke - Sweet Fascination