Monday, February 11, 2013

Emails like this are why I keep going

More signs that the message is spreading.

I received this rrom a reader named Dave...

I cannot thank Mike and the other contributors to this website/blog enough. I am 47 years old and a teacher, and I was amazed at how little I really knew about our economic system, and how simple it really is to understand (minus the math and accouting of course. That stuff is highly specialized, but at least now I feel that with the right training, I could understand that as well). I was trapped in the gold bug, armageddon mindset as well(as a Christian, it has been a long obsession which I am happy to announce I am completely free of, thanks to you all). I came to a conclusion, based upon what I learned about MMT. To sum: if the gold bug/armageddon peddlers were right, then why sell books and reports recommending the purchase of a scarce security? Wouldn't that mean there would be less of the stuff lying around when the you- know- what- hit- the- fan? And why sell it for Fiat Money if that stuff is worthless, and doomed to be sent to the scap heap of history? Only one answer that makes sense, the gold bug, armageddon thing is a con, that plays on the ignorance, and emotional insecurity of the public, which has little economic knowledge. People like me, before Mike Norman economics of course!

Now I am investing in equities and learning true self-reliance which is based upon creating wealth by finding value, remaining positive and denying fear, and making our society better, not worse, because I was here. No more water purifiers and food storage for me. Life is too precious. And I think there are a lot of us out there because of folks like you. Don't lose faith, you guys will win in the end. There are a lot of us out there, working to educate our neighbors, friends, and students. There will be upheaval, but every human advancement must be met with resistance before it is accepted.

Very gratifying.

4 comments:

James said...

Excellent comment. And it recounts a journey I have taken, as well, to understanding. I want to thank Mike, Bill Mitchell, Warren Mosler, Randy Wray, Stephanie Kelton and all the others.
However, water and food storage and some degree of self-sufficiency regarding heat and shelter is still advised for natural disasters, just not based on paranoia.

googleheim said...

How do you put a nation worth more than $50 trillion dollars in assets, from Mt Rushmore to the sands of Florida keys, on a gold standard when there is not enough gold available for us to acquire to securitize such assets ?

We would have to bomb every country in the world to snag their gold and what then ?

A world not worth conversing with ...

Bravo to Mike Norman for sticking it out in the long term as we watch how many times his invariant analysis tools work to cast light into shadow banking, rigged currency rates, bogus credit agencies, agenda bashing no-nothings, etc.

Yes, leave Gold Bug in the right frame of reference - for children's books like Richard Scarry.

John Zelnicker said...

Mike -- I have noticed a lot of new names commenting here in the past few weeks. I think the platinum coin idea has forced a lot of people to think about such things who never would have before. And if they do, they will eventually find their way to "The number one MMT site on the web!" just as I did.

etfguy said...

Mike has totally changed my paradigm on fiscal and monetary policy. I don't agree with everything he says, but he does have some killer ties.