Thursday, February 14, 2013

Izabella Kaminska — People have been asking me what’s next on my radar

People have been asking me what’s next on my radar now that the robot/tech debate has gone mainstream.
The answer is biology and what motivates us to make the economic choices we take. I am particularly interested in the selfish brain theory and metabolic systems. However, after many years of dismissing Dawkins I now think there is something to his idea that human civilisation is linked to a quasi misfiring of our selfish genes. Ordinary Darwinian observation states we should only act selflessly towards our own kin or if we think out selfless acts will be returned when we need them (with interest ).
But Dawkins notes humans are much more selfless than our genes suggest we should be. Random acts of kindness to total strangers are more than common.
This reality goes against our genetic inclination.
What I’m wondering, therefore… to what degree is money an external manifestation of our selfish gene?
Toward a Leisure Society
People have been asking me what’s next on my radar
Izabella Kaminska

No comments: