Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Cory Hoffman, Progressive/MMT candidate in Ohio's 9th Congressional District is definitely reading this blog and Mosler's

Taken almost word for word from Mosler's economic proposals. He is a true MMT candidate.

Here's an excerpt of some of the stuff on his website.

"It comes as a shock to most people when they first hear this claim but taxes do not fund federal government spending and the Federal Government does not really "borrow" U.S. Dollars from U.S. Citizens, China or anywhere else. I will say it again. Federal Taxes do not fund Federal Government spending and the Federal Government does not really "borrow" U.S. Dollars from U.S. Citizens, China or anywhere else. The Federal Government is fundamentally different than state governments, households and private businesses. They are not analogous in any way, shape or form." -Cory Hoffman
"The fact is that the U.S. Dollars that we all use to pay federal taxes must necessarily come from The Federal Government spending them into existence first. The crucial fact is that the Federal Government was empowered by the Founding Fathers to be the sole, singular, monopoly provider of our money. Nobody else in our country can provide money. When we individual private citizens try to create U.S. Dollars we go to federal prison for counterfeiting. We are all users of the money that the Federal Government provides. The Federal Government is the issuer of U.S. Dollars and we are users​ of U.S. dollars." -Cory Hoffman

His proposals include elimination of the payroll tax, a job guarantee, an increase in Social Security payments and $300 billion aid to states distributed on a per capita basis. Verbatim Mosler and repeated many, many, times on this blog.

Cory, if you're reading this give us a shout!

Note**Actually, it looks like this guy was blocked by the election board because they said it wouldn't approve his petitions. He withdrew on March 3 it looks like. Same thing happened to me when I tried to run in District 4 NYC Council election back in 2001. I was blocked by my own party, which at the time was the Republican Party. That was my pre-MMT days so it didn't matter. ;)



7 comments:

Peter Pan said...

For what reason was he blocked?

mike norman said...

According to the news story it said that the local election board indicated to him that it would not accept his petitions because either he didn't have the required signatures to get on the ballot or, the signatures were improper.

This is EXACTLY the tactic that was used against me in my City Council run back in 2001. It's a common way to try to block a candidate.

But why was he blocked? The larger question, you mean?

Who knows...incumbents like to run uncontested if they can. They'll use whatever tricks to do that. He was a new candidate, relatively unknown and inexperienced. Maybe an easy target to knock off. And better to knock someone off than run the risk that they gain a following and pull off a win.

Unknown said...

Hey Mike, I've got an update here on Cory's situation, pulled from his facebook page. Looks like he's still running, just as an independent:

"Cory Hoffman
Since I've decided to give it a shot running as an unaffiliated candidate so I can make sure I've got a spot in the electoral equivalent of the "championship game" on November 4th, rather than risk going out early in electoral equivalent of "the playoffs" in early May without having my ideas heard by a wide audience, the state of Ohio requires that I get 2,110 signatures from registered voters in the 9th District by May 6th in order to get my name on the ballot on November 4th.

So far I've managed to get about 400 grounding and pounding over the last two weekends. I'm sure I can manage to get to at least 2,110 by May 6th doing it this way but it would be way easier if I got some help from some of my friends who support me.

It's really easy. Just follow the link and download both pages of my signed petitions and get signatures from friends, family and co-workers that are registered to vote and live in the 9th district.

So, people that live and/or work in Sandusky, Toledo, Port Clinton, Lakewood, Vermillion, Lorain, Avon Lake, Sheffield Lake, Berea, North Parma, Brooklyn, Bay Village, Rocky River, South West Cleveland, Huron and Perkins, could all be a big help by printing off these petitions, getting a couple signatures and mailing them to 2311 Cleveland Rd. West Sandusky, Ohio 44870. Or, if you're local you could just drop them off there in person or contact me so I can pick them up personally.

If you're interested in helping me get signatures or in signing my petitions yourself, you can message me on here, go download the petitions at Scribd.com on your own initiative or contact me at coryhoffmanforcongress@gmail.com.

The sooner I get my signatures the sooner I am definitively on the ballot and I can focus on getting my ideas out there to see if we can't inspire people to join the cause for maximum employment.

Thanks a lot!"

Unknown said...

Here's some blog entries that I found that he's written. Looks like the man has put in the time to understand MMT pretty well. Good on him.

http://overlappingconsensus.com/2014/02/28/thinking-about-inflation/

http://overlappingconsensus.com/the-fallacy-of-federal-government-finance/

Daniel said...

A little background on that district. It's a heavily gerrymandered district that stretches from Toledo to Cleveland. It combined two Democratic leaning seats in a GOP led effort to eliminate a Dem congressman from Ohio's delegation. In this case that turned out to be none other than Dennis Kucinich, who was defeated by Marcy Kaptur in the primary in 2012.

And Kaptur's Republican opponent in the general election that year? None other than Joe the Plumber. Needless to say, Joe lost badly :)

jg said...

The US and Ohio needs more folks like Cory. I wish I was still in his district so I could help.

Cory Hoffman said...

Hey Mike,

Any chance you could make this post private? I am a civil servant now and political speech is frowned upon so I am working to try and scrub the web of references to myself. If not, I understand.