Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Alain De Botton - Why Socrates Hated Democracy

A difficult one this: Who judges what is a fair education for people so they can vote in an intelligent manner; but it's also true that the electorate on the whole have no idea what they are voting for? By voting Conservative in the U.K,  they are voting for austerity, cut backs to their welfare, for the party which is the front for the criminal City of London, for war, for their taxes wasted on the ruling elite's protection racket - it's war machine, etc. And New Labour wasn't much better.

Through their propaganda the elite can get the public to vote for their party - whether New Labour or Conservative. Now they are trying to smear Jeremy Corbyn.


We’re used to thinking hugely well of democracy. But interestingly, one of the wisest people who ever lived, Socrates, had deep suspicions of it.

7 comments:

Bob Roddis said...

Let's see. You might vote for Jim Crow? The majority might vote to eat the minority? Two wolves and a lamb vote on what's for dinner? The Bill of Rights listing things that are not subject to a vote? You might vote to criminalize homosexual behavior? Apparently, you never thought of any of those things before. Amazing.

Konrad said...

One time I woke up in a hospital room, having no idea how I got there. The doctors told me I had collapsed from shock after Matt Franko said something halfway intelligent.

It's reassuring to know that this will never happen to me with Roddis.

Bob Roddis said...

Konrad: I would suppose that where you come from, that counts as an argument. And I suppose it's the best you've got.

Kaivey said...

That isn't how democracy works, Bob. It's tends to protect minority interests. It's a compromise.

Konrad said...

I was not making an argument. I was complimenting you on your consistency.
In pecking out idiotic gibberish, you never disappoint.

Actually I read your trash by accident. I glanced at your comment before I saw your name above it.

My apologies. I will be more careful from now on. :-)

Nebris said...

Democracy is Hard Work, far harder that most people are truly willing or even capable of undertaking.

Noah Way said...

Representative democracy is designed to prevent real (direct) democracy.