Thursday, September 12, 2019

John Henley - ‘It’s a miracle’: Helsinki’s radical solution to homelessness

Finland is the only EU country where homelessness is falling. Its secret? Giving people homes as soon as they need them – unconditionally


Every country is lovely, but some countries are more lovely than others.

As I've said before, social democracy works out cheaper in the end.


Housing First costs money, of course: Finland has spent €250m creating new homes and hiring 300 extra support workers. But a recent study showed the savings in emergency healthcare, social services and the justice system totalled as much as €15,000 a year for every homeless person in properly supported housing.


Ainesmaa is on a two-year work experience programme designed to lead to a job. He says the opportunity to sort himself out was priceless: “Look, I own nothing. I’m on the autism spectrum. I think people are my friends, and then they rip me me off. I’ve been ripped off … a lot. But now I have my place. It’s mine. I can build.”

The Guardian 

John Henley - ‘It’s a miracle’: Helsinki’s radical solution to homelessness Finland is the only EU country where homelessness is falling. Its secret? Giving people homes as soon as they need them – unconditionally

2 comments:

mmcosker said...

They did this in Utah strating in 2005, and it was very successful. Recently funding has begun to dry up.

mmcosker said...

Story link https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1P41EQ