Tuesday, April 25, 2023

The Canadian "Fiscal Crisis Of 1994-5" — Brian Romanchuk

I have now arrived at the part of the preparation for my panel that I have dreaded: the Great Canadian Fiscal Crisis of 1994-1995. This is an event that Canadian Establishment figures will talk your ear off about if you bring up Modern Monetary Theory (MMT). My problem with this crisis is that I spent my working life staring at charts of yields, economic data, and exchange rates, and never even noticed anything unusual during that period in Canada. It was only much later that I heard about this alleged crisis. (I was out of the country until August 1994, and too busy teaching my first course as a postdoc in engineering to notice what was happening in the markets or the news.)
Bond Economics
The Canadian "Fiscal Crisis Of 1994-5"
Brian Romanchuk

2 comments:

Marian Ruccius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marian Ruccius said...

Fantastic post, about the unnecessary austerity imposed following the Great Canadian Slump of the early 1990s.