Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Reasons To Turn Away From The MICC & Other Enemies of Peace. We Must Once Again Save Them From Themselves.

   (Commentary posted by Roger Erickson.)





The MICC and the usual enemies of peace have become a too perfect instrument, possessing their own institutional momentum. We may hate the outcome, but we have to honestly embrace the components of the MICC as well as our other Innocent Frauds, as a part of ourselves, and reform it and them, while not falling prey to the useless frictions of hating a part of ourselves.
  “We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace—business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering.
  They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.
  Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me—and I welcome their hatred.”

Franklin D. Roosevelt

“I have seen war. I have seen war on land and sea. I have seen blood running from the wounded. I have seen men coughing out their gassed lungs. I have seen the dead in the mud. I have seen cities destroyed. I have seen 200 limping, exhausted men come out of line—the survivors of a regiment of 1,000 that went forward 48 hours before. I have seen children starving. I have seen the agony of mothers and wives. I hate war.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt
War? Monopoly? Speculation? Reckless banking? Profiteering? This all sounds so drearily familiar. We can put these demons back in their box, and this time make it a coffin, firmly nailed shut. We just need the courage - and honesty - to act as our grandparents did. 

Just as a child going through a growth spurt, our cultural growth spurt has rendered us temporarily clumsier, before we can become agile again in our new condition. Yet we can regain cultural and policy agility, by the simple application of distributed cultural practice, thereby retraining our growing numbers to adaptive rather than divisive Public Purpose.




7 comments:

Peter Pan said...

What did your grandparents do? Join a union?

Roger Erickson said...

US population in 1933 was ~125 million;

Hard to say how many became grandparents of today's readers, but safe to say tens of millions.

You'd have to read some history of the FDR administrations to grasp all the things that they did, Bob.

Brochan Blasta said...

Normally I don't have the patience to work through your posts due to your use of cryptic slang and other mutilations of the English language, but this was short, to the point, and damn right.

Matt Franko said...

Isem,

"cryptic slang"

They may not be 'cryptic slang' they may be words/terms (yes something foreign to the academe of Economics I'm sure...) Roger is using from the biological/evolutionary Theories that he is trained in... he is applying them to the human social species in view of our species' associated 'economics' or 'house-laws'...

rsp,

Brochan Blasta said...

Matt,

Roger is doing a fine job here, but I don't think I'm alone in not following some of his jargon.
As a professional control systems engineer, I bow to no man in the gobbledegook department, but surely Roger would get his message through to more readers if he assumed there was little or no knowledge of his speciality in his audience?

Roger Erickson said...

Isembard,
Trying to connect concepts well-known in one field to all the extant, less familiar, audiences is a constant struggle. I'd like to chat with you about this.

Please contact me offline at rgerickson at gmail dot com

Thanks

Matt Franko said...

Isem,

"gobbledegook department" Ha! ...

I'm not surprised by your background and you ability to understand these systems this I often see...

The people we have in there operating these systems are just unqualified imo...

rsp,