Wednesday, August 5, 2015

“[Where Can We Get Any Fiat]” asks Maya MacGuineas. Studies in Cultural Tourettes Syndrome.

   (Commentary posted by Roger Erickson)

New TV ad challenges presidential candidates to [Neuter the Fiat]

Where Can We Get Any Fiat?

Good lord!

There's a whole organization dedicated to nothing more than to Neuter the Fiat. Don't these people ever stop and wonder what their own words actually mean?

Or are they stuck in a OCD loop that requires them to spew the same Sophistic phrase repetitively, in a peculiar variant of Tourette's Syndrome - with no association to functional meaning whatsoever? Maybe they can't help themselves ..... but we can help ourselves, and save them from themselves too.

Here's an example of a Sophist verbal tic:
"Accountants using double-entry bookkeeping arbitrarily call creation of fiat currency by expanding Public Initiative a 'debt.' Is that Public Initiative 'your' fiat currency? Then your fiat currency is YOUR debt. You must destroy it ... before it destroys YOU!!!"
"Our financial savings are our 'debt,' right?" Ok, semantically. If you're into sophistry.

"So we must ACTUALLY destroy one to save ourselves from the other, right?" Huh? Only if you can't tell the difference between sophistry & reality.

Can't we just say "Yes, and no, respectively" instead of an obligatory & nonsensical "yes & yes?" Or have citizens lost the ability to address nuance?

[Time for an intervention? Someone trigger the siren. Wooeeeoooh! Calling Captain tinfoil. Calling Captain tinfoil. (Listen, Cap. Can we gracefully & quietly usher these Neuter the Fiat people out of public life, before they hurt themselves? Their kids shouldn't have to witness their parents making such fools of themselves in public.) ]

They're terrified of the imagined Sophist Monster that ate up CurrenCity?


Is this nothing more than an unfortunate case of Tic Fiscaleroo, which most would rather not talk about?

Tics - a part of Tourettes Syndrome or TS - occur when statistically rare variants of neurological wiring occur, in parts of the central nervous system evolved for triggering patterns of multi-component behaviors or multi-muscular complex movements, ranging from thoughts to vocalizations and on to a wide range of simple to complex physical movements or behaviors.
Cultural Tourettes Syndrome
Similarly, Cultural Tics and Policy Tics - collectively referred to as Cultural Tourettes Syndrome or CTS - occur when statistically improbable associations are allowed to be expressed in constantly evolving policy offices or, worse, national "leadership" institutions. CTS is observed whenever people arbitrarily expressing deranged associations are allowed to operate, unchecked, in policy or governance institutions.

The remedy? Aggregate fortune balances personal misfortune - if we let it happen.

Historically, individuals with TS die sooner and propagate at lower rates that those with more common neurological wiring patterns - which tends to protect aggregates from accumulating large proportions of people with less nuanced control over impulse triggering.

Analogously, aggregates with CTS tend to disappear after following deranged Sophists off of cultural cliffs. Long term, all aggregates are dead. In the meantime, it's up to us to contemplate ways to minimize the number of deranged thinkers allowed in policy offices and leadership positions, and to provide checks & balances to protect us when statistics dictate their occasional appearance in minimal numbers. Presuming you want your aggregate to survive, that is.

Sure there are things to fear and avoid, but they're usually not the ones we first imagine. Cultural life and death depend on the distributed ability to separate form from function.


7 comments:

Peter Pan said...

On Bill's blog you wrote:
I keep experimenting with certain phrasings, as in this blog post. Short & sweet, for the US J&J Sixpack, and to recruit more scientists to the neglected topic of fiscal policy.

Joe and Jo Sixpack know that a Fiat is a car, and that aggregate is something you find in asphalt/assfault/ashfalt. Writing for both the salt of the earth and scientists in the same article is certainly ambitious!

Your style is unpalatable for ordinary folks. They're used to pizza and you're serving them something they cannot make heads or tails of. Perhaps you could use some time in Mike Norman's kitchen, for there are more people who can relate to what he dishes out.

Why would the salt of the earth or a scientist be interested in fiscal policy?
J&J Sixpence are likely more interested in the ways they are being ripped off. They're already being told a tall tale that they are. Meanwhile a scientist worries that if they stick their nose into another discipline, they run the risk of having it, and their funding, lopped off.

Maybe I have a wrong impression of academia. And perhaps academia has a problem communicating with the world that exists outside of their University. I'm convinced that there are too few in academia who take their role seriously.

When I have tried to explain MMT in person, my role is to answer questions. The more convincing my answers, the more questions I get. It doesn't take long for a conversation to shift from 'bankruptcy' to 'inflation'. I get the sense that some already know that 'bankruptcy' is a load of crock, but it doesn't matter because of 'inflation'. Very well then, lets stop talking about bankruptcy and start talking about inflation.

When the first domino is a dud, you have to push on the next one. Behind each domino, is a small group of people with a narrative. Along with a politician and a speech.

Roger Erickson said...

Well, thanks for the abuse, Bob. I refuse to accept your gift, however, so you may keep it. :)

Besides, you seem to have reversed your conclusion half way through your comment.

It may be a mistake for one person to conclude for them what the ~150 million J&J Sixpacks in this country think.

Ditto for the tens of thousands of scientists.

"Why would the salt of the earth or a scientist be interested in fiscal policy?"

I'd let them answer for themselves. Apparently plenty do, and they keep coming back to this blog to read more.

As long as you continue trying to explain fiat currency operations to interested people, however, you have my encouragement.

Thanks, and please keep up the effort - without worrying about the efforts of others. I doubt anything I say is harming your efforts when talking to the audience you reach.

Peter Pan said...

How much abuse is required to disabuse you of the notion that your message is being understood by your audience? Mark me down as malcontent reader #1.

This is a blog of people interested in these sorts of topics. It's as close to an MMT choir as any of us will get. By comparison, J&J 6P are misinformed and disinterested.

My goodness, if I were to communicate to an audience as you do, it would harm the message. They don't use words like aggregate, or adaptive rate. They might laugh at Cultural Tourette Syndrome, or they might take offense, but I doubt they'd understand what it means. I don't.

If you agree with the points that Bill raised on that blog entry, then you'll adjust your writing style accordingly.

Roger Erickson said...

LOL Bob!

You may mean well, but you have grand illusions about yourself being "the" audience. :)

there are always more people in an audience - or electorate - than any one representative naively imagines

it serves no good to HAVE diversity, if ANY diverse member of an aggregate tries to silence ANY other feedback, no matter what size statistical segment it comes from

I'd be wary of taking on the role of censor for what your fellow citizens hear

I'll wait for greater statistical evidence before following your advice and committing hari kari

until then, best wishes

ps: if you really feel I'm doing that much harm, then come shoot me yourself ... before I hurt more citizens with my feedback

Peter Pan said...

I am malcontent reader #1. You may begin to compile your greater statistical evidence.

I'm not censoring anyone.

I am your feedback. All too often, Zero Comments are your feedback.

You're not harming anyone with your experiments. You're not doing any damage. That's the problem!

You read Bill's blog post and leave a comment flattering yourself.

Indeed, I have grand illusions about being able to slay your vanity.

Peter Pan said...

Hari kari?
Is that what you do when you have to write an academic paper or technical report?

Peter Pan said...

California Sex Lawyer
Written by C. Collingwood / A. Schlesinger

From the Fountains of Wayne album Out-Of-State Plates

I'm going coast to coast
I'm going nation-wide
I've got my hand on the trigger
Got my girl by my side
I've got the looks that kill
I've got a license to love
I've got a german shepard
And his name is Dog

I'm heading for the sun
I'm gunna become

A California sex lawyer, oh yeah
A California sex lawyer, oh yeah
A California sex lawyer, oh yeah
Well it's not fair, but baby I dont care

I've got big ideas
I've got back up plans
I've got the cha-cha-charisma
Got the slight of hand
I'm gunna do some damage
Gunna bust some heads
I'm gunna go the distance
Then I'm going to bed

I'm heading for the sun
I'm gunna become

A California sex lawyer, oh yeah
A California sex lawyer, oh yeah
A California sex lawyer, oh yeah
Well it's not fair, but baby I dont care


I'm heading for the sun
I'm gunna become

A California sex lawyer, oh yeah
A California sex lawyer, oh yeah
A California sex lawyer, oh yeah
Well It's not fair
It's not fair
it's not fair, but baby I dont care