Thursday, July 18, 2013

Ian Millhiser — Eric Holder: I Had To Tell My Son How To Protect Himself From The Police Because He Is Black

Indeed, despite a career spent in the most elite reaches of the legal profession, Holder still fears that his son will someday find himself in danger from the police, simply because he is black. As he told the NAACP, “[m]y father [sat] down with me to have a conversation – which is no doubt familiar to many of you – about how as a young black man I should interact with the police.” He continued that Trayvon Martin’s death “caused me to sit down to have a conversation with my own 15 year old son, like my dad did with me.”
“This was a father-son tradition I hoped would not need to be handed down.” Holder added. “But as a father who loves his son and who is more knowing in the ways of the world, I had to do this to protect my boy.”
Think Progress
Eric Holder: I Had To Tell My Son How To Protect Himself From The Police Because He Is Black
Ian Millhiser

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to have "the talk" with my son too. I sat him down to tell him how he and his money should interact with the financial sector. Sadly, I informed him that in Eric Holder's America, Wall Streeters are permitted to financially lynch ordinary Americans, and will not be prosecuted.

Abram Larson said...

We aren't black, but I've had the same talk with my son. In this day and age, the police get to do whatever they want with impunity no matter what color you are.