Tuesday, November 24, 2020

China beat the coronavirus with science and strong public health measures, not just with authoritarianism

 Elanah Uretsky, Associate Professor of International and Global Studies, Brandeis University

I live in a democracy. But as Thanksgiving approaches, I find myself longing for the type of freedom I am seeing in China.

People in China are able to move around freely right now. Many Americans may believe that the Chinese are able to enjoy this freedom because of China’s authoritarian regime. As a scholar of public health in China, I think the answers go beyond that.


My research suggests that the control of the virus in China is not the result of authoritarian policy, but of a national prioritization of health. China learned a tough lesson with SARS, the first coronavirus pandemic of the 21st century


6 comments:

Matt Franko said...

I just got an antibody test back from Red Cross I have the antibodies..

I think I had it first week in January ... It was like a mild cold... I’ve had much worse common colds...

So I’m on list of donors of convalescent plasma now...

Peter Pan said...

All the little Hitlers running the states/provinces/territories are the definition of authoritarian. Coronavirus has revealed their true colours.
Red for authoritarian.
White for ineptitude.
Blue for righteousness.

lastgreek said...

Path to immunity: Vaccination or natural infection?

Vaccination! Always! Especially regarding this virus that still so little is known about its debilitating effects.

lastgreek said...

"I think I had it first week in January ... It was like a mild cold... I’ve had much worse common colds..."

So what? The cold virus doesn't scar up your insides like this virus.

Matt Franko said...

The only debilitating effect I seemed to have suffered was perhaps a loss of EVEN MORE patience for morons ... ;p

lastgreek said...

lol... I have been called worse things by better people.