Sunday, July 28, 2013

Philip Pullella and Anthony Boadle — Millions at Brazil Mass hear pope ask youth to change world

"Through your joyful witness and service, help to build a civilization of love. Show, by your life, that it is worth giving your time and talents to attain high ideals," Francis said at the Rio airport before he departed for Rome....
"Bringing the Gospel is bringing God's power to pluck up and break down evil and violence, to destroy and overthrow the barriers of selfishness, intolerance and hatred, so as to build a new world," he said.Many young people in Brazil saw this as his support for peaceful demonstrations to bring about social and political reform....
Francis dedicated much attention in his speeches to the problems, the prospects and the power of youth....
The pope addressed Latin American bishops before leaving Brazil, telling them the Church had to shed all elitism and get closer to the people.... 
Many young people in Brazil saw this as his support for peaceful demonstrations to bring about social and political reform... 
On Friday night he called on them to change a world where food is discarded while millions go hungry, where racism and violence still affront human dignity, and where politics is more associated with corruption than service 
The day before, during a visit to a Rio slum, he urged them not to allow their hopes of change to be extinguished. Many young people in Brazil saw this as his support for peaceful demonstrations to bring about social and political reform.
Reuters
Millions at Brazil Mass hear pope ask youth to change world
Philip Pullella and Anthony Boadle, Rio De Janeiro


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really do have hope for the younger generation. The 30-70 something generation, however, is a mess. We all had the political and cultural consciousness formed during the recent era of hyper-capitalism.

googleheim said...

There is still hope.

Just listen to David Sylvian's and Robert Fripp's song "20th Century Dreaming" - from the Album "The First Day."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxaBOUFqNjY

I dedicate this to Tom Hickey today. Tomorrow Mike Norman. Yesterday Mosler.

Here are the lyrics :
----------------------
Cold morningStart of another day
Sleeping through the epilogue
Waking to the sound of rain
Driven to the crossroads
Where value's meaningless
What did you do to my faith
In justice, hope and happiness
Social, economical, spiritual
I'm moving to the house of love
Take my fire
Take my food and water
Forget about those promises
Of social good and social order
Lassoed by the cowboys
Tied down and it shows
I'm roping in those bad dreams
And selling off my working clothes
Social, economical, spiritual
I'm moving to the house of love
Gonna take a course of action
To restore my sight
'Til the heart of motivation
Is filled with a golden light

They're hiding in the treetops
Tugging at my coat
Power lines are falling down
And burning in the undergrowth
Social, economical, spiritual
I'm moving to the house of love
As the river runs, tumbles and turns
You know you shouldn't stay
Play the game again
It could be different this time
You may win
Dreaming, dreaming
Dreaming, dreaming
Lying down
Dreaming, dreaming
Dreaming, dreaming
Lying down
I'm moving to the house of love
Moving to the house of love
I'm moving to the house of love
Moving, I'm moving, I'm moving
I'm moving, I'm moving, I'm moving
I'm moving to the house of love

[Incomprehensible][Incomprehensible]
Dreaming, dreaming

Ralph Musgrave said...

The Pope is also offering indulgences (i.e. less time in Purgatory) for those who follow him on Twitter. See:

http://www.france24.com/en/20130718-pope-offer-indulgences-twitter-followers

I’m also offering indulgences to those who follow my comments on Mike Norman’s blog.

Matt Franko said...

Ha Ralph LOL can you send some over my way!

Same old shit from the Vatican... "boy, I hope these youth make better freewill choices than their parents so they can earn their way into heaven and not have to be tormented in hell for eternity... blah, blah, blah..."

rsp,

googleheim said...

Either that or they need to collect old roman coins and romance that they are Japanese MMT.

Really just trying to settle them down so the rich MMT'ers can watch some soccer next year without any riots.