Monday, January 4, 2021

Can Intermittent Fasting Reset Your Immune System? By Steven Salzberg

I've written about fasting and its effects on health before. Six years ago, a study showed that a 3-day fast can essentially reset the immune system, providing many potential benefits. These benefits include better cardiovascular health, better endurance, lower blood pressure, and reduced inflammation. 


Newer data, which I'll get to in a minute, shows that you might not have to fast nearly that long to get these benefits.

5 comments:

Mike Norman said...

Try cold therapy as a means to strengthen the immune system. After my workout each morning at 4am, I run in the cold with only my workout shorts, tank top and running shoes. Then an ice cold shower for 2-3 minutes. Later in the day, around 5-6pm, I take a 3-4 mile walk in the cold. Jeans, T-shirt and sneakers. Try that.

lastgreek said...

Mike, hat and gloves optional?

Me, I fast everyday starting around 9pm until 7am the next morning, give or take half an hour. Then I break my fast. I call this morning event "breakfast." :)

Peter Pan said...

Playing in the dirt helps.

David said...

“Playing in the dirt helps”

(I call that gardening....)

Peter Pan said...

Gardening... good for your immune system, good for your soul :)