Thursday, September 19, 2019

Ed Jones - Five reasons why we don’t have a free and independent press in the UK and what we can do about it

Britain's press is controlled by the same networks of people as run everything else. Is it really free?


A really good article saying about how much of our media is controlled by oligarchs. If the truth were known, Corbyn would be well ahead in the polls. For instance, if people knew about what was happening in Yemen and how the Tory Party is complicit in that genocide, how many people would still vote for them? 

MI5 and the CIA routinely influence and pay journalists to put out propaganda, and some intelligence officers go under cover to become journalists. 


The article gives an extensive list of independent news media, many of which I have never heard of before, so I thought I better pin this to my Start Screen. 
“Only 25 per cent of the population earns more than £30,000 a year. Most media commentators (including me) do. For people like me, the country basically works. Politics doesn't affect me. Politics, for me, is about how other people are treated. It's easy inside my echo-chamber to believe that I am the norm, or the middle. Easy to forget that there are voices outside.

“To people in my position, austerity can be read as regrettable but pragmatic. But to my friends and family, who live outside the bubble, it's not regrettable, it's terrifying. It's also not pragmatic. The crackpot, gimcrack ideological nature of austerity becomes more apparent the closer you get to the point of delivery.”

Evans went on to say:“Mr Murdoch was continually sending for my staff without telling me and telling them what the paper should be. He sent for the elderly and academic Mr Hickey, who went in tremulously, to be told by Mr Murdoch, "Your leaders are too long, too complex. You should be attacking the Russians more."”David Yelland, a former editor of The Sun – another Murdoch owned paper – admitted in an interview:

"All Murdoch editors, what they do is this: they go on a journey where they end up agreeing with everything Rupert says but you don't admit to yourself that you're being influenced. Most Murdoch editors wake up in the morning, switch on the radio, hear that something has happened and think: what would Rupert think about this? It's like a mantra inside your head, it's like a prism. You look at the world through Rupert's eyes."

No comments: