Monday, October 7, 2019

From modern monetary theory to modern taxation theory: a debate to be had — Richard Murphy

I am aware that almost anything written on modern monetary theory appears to be contentious, and that there are those who to seek to belittle my own contribution. I should then add that Randy Wray has already written to me about this paper, welcoming it and the contribution it makes to MMT thinking. Those seeking to dismiss it because I wrote it should, then, tread warily I suggest.
That said, I am aware that I have raised difficult issues, but I hope without offending too many. Suggesting that one of MMT's major contributions is to reverse the understanding of the revenue cycle will, for some, be contentious: they will place the emphasis elsewhere. But that is not key to my argument....
Tax Research UK
From modern monetary theory to modern taxation theory: a debate to be had
Richard Murphy | Professor of Practice in International Political Economy at City University, London; Director of Tax Research UK; non-executive director of Cambridge Econometrics, and a member of the Progressive Economy Forum

See also

Tax justice and modern monetary theory

No comments: