Monday, August 3, 2020

Updated - How Your Brain Is Getting Hacked: Facebook, Tinder, Slot Machines | Tristan Harris

Updated with KV Tweet


I read an article recently which warned that too much use of social media can chronically raise cortisol levels which can lead to long term ill health.

I sometimes spend days debating with conspiracists, deniers, and very recently with some Zionists, which was particularly ugly because they believe they are fighting a war.

These debates often leave me feeling wired and irritated. Sometimes I realise that the person I have been fiercely debating with is actually quite a nice guy, and so I start to feel guilty because I may have demolished him.

What is very endearing is when prominent people in politics and economics tweet photos of the cakes they have baked, the flowers in their gardens they have just attended, or their family pets.

On the whole, I think I put out some very interesting tweets, but they are usually ignored. Twitter can be great fun, but I'm wondering if it's worth it at all.

Tristan Harris describes how addictive social media is: You put a tweet in and wait for the likes, which is like pulling a slot-machine lever and then waiting, hoping to win. Even the software designers themselves get addicted.





One of my tweets that never got any likes.

"What happened to Fred?"



13 comments:

Kaivey said...

Guess what, within minutes of writing the above I was back on twitter again? I had two likes.

I couldn't wait until tomorrow to tweet a Mike Tyson video about how he become a vegan

Matt Franko said...

K, are you still getting your exercise in?

Kaivey said...

Yes, 3 hours a day. That will never be affected.

NeilW said...

First time my eldest daughter played a slot machine she won the jackpot.

Not good...

Kaivey said...

When I was 17 my friends and I would occasionally play the slot-machines in the pubs, but we never won much so we soon gave up. We felt the slot-machine companies were very greedy and were ripping us off. Then I read how the these companies would prefer a higher pay out at 95%, or more, but the government limited them to 85% because it was so addictive. Gee!

Kaivey said...

Now updated with a tweet I did that never got any likes.

Matt Franko said...

Kevin maybe divert some of your online time to chronicling your intersting rides?

You can mount a camera on the bike and edit it down when you get back. Or run in fast motion for parts ... add music and some commentary etc.... would perhaps divert some creative energy away from the political stuff... YouTube 10 minute videos...

Matt Franko said...

Here is example :

https://youtu.be/W4sYQLEpJnA

Just do one a week maybe...

Kaivey said...

Actually, Matt, I held my phone in my right hand the other and cycled along a country lane that I love to capture it on video for my girlfriend. Maybe I can sneak a bit of video footage out on MNE's embedded within another post. That' how I used to sometimes sneak out some of my comedy stuff - at edge end of a post. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Also, someone I follow on twitter - a prominent lefty - tweeted about this impoverished upbringing. I tweeted back talking about mine, and he liked it. I added some photographs. I tweeted it out as my own tweet too, but no one took any interest. Anyway, I was tempted to put it out on MNE's, but I thought it might be too self indulgent. Maybe I will do it tomorrow, or soon, with the cycle ride.

Kaivey said...

The auto-correct put 'edge' in.

Kaivey said...

Another typo: 'tweeted about this' should be 'his'

Matt Franko said...

You can start a YouTube channel and put it up there then embed the YouTube at mne via blogger..

I think you can use a tablet to do it all..

Peter Pan said...

Looking forward to Kaivey's bicycle cam :)