Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Targeted Versus Non-Targeted Stimulus — Brian Romanchuk

I've run across yet more lazy critiques of Modern Monetary Theory (MMT), arguing that "MMT says governments should just print money to stop the virus!", or similar nonsense. I may only be speaking for myself, my reading of MMT would lead to cautiousness with respect to the limits of fiscal policy at present. Given that we face considerable constraints on output capacity, we can see theoretical inflationary risks if fiscal policy was too active. (My base case view is in line with the collapsing inflation-linked market: inflation is likely to head lower, given the swoon in energy prices.)
Bond Economics
Targeted Versus Non-Targeted Stimulus
Brian Romanchuk

3 comments:

.fadE said...

Does anyone else get errors trying to reach Brian's website? I get a secure connection error, PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR... Tried both Firefox and Chrome, I don't get it on any other site.

edzimmer said...

.fadE: Simply go to http://www.bondeconomics.com/

Tom Hickey said...

I am encountering no issues clicking on the link and going to Brian's post using Microsoft Edge and Firefox on a mac.