Sunday, August 19, 2018

Zack Guzman - This chart shows how far behind America is in paid time off compared to the rest of the world

A good enough reason to never live in the US, in my opinion. In my last job I got five weeks and three days paid leave a year. The extra three days were added over a number of years for long term service. After my company got privatized my union could never negotiate the last few days to make it six weeks holiday.

Five weeks three days, how can anyone say unions are bad, they served me well? Anyway, what I used to do was take two weeks leave twice a year but take those weeks where there was bank holidays in them. That would free up two days which I could add to my three days to gain an extra week, so what I got in the end was six weeks paid leave a year. As I loved having two weeks off at a time I was always tempted to take two weeks off three times a year, but in the end I went for two weeks twice a year plus one week twice a year so that there was more breaks over the year. Kevin Vincent.


Compared to the amount of paid time off afforded to workers in other countries, American employees are woefully undercompensated.
In fact, the U.S. is the only advanced economy that doesn't guarantee its workers any paid vacation time. And as a result, a quarter of the country's private-sector workers don't receive any time off at all, according to the Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
A chart recently compiled by Statista journalist Niall McCarthy, citing data from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, illustrates just how wide the discrepancy in vacation days actually is between the U.S. and the rest of the world.
CNBC

No comments: