Sunday, January 19, 2020

A 97-Year-Old Philosopher Faces His Own Death

This was a very difficult video to watch, which I thought it was going to be deeply spiritual, but it wasn't really like that at all, although it was very profound.

I was going to write a summary of the video, like I often do for those who don't time to watch, but I realised I would spoil it. I'll just say it's incredibly sad and shows how difficult life can be, especially at the end.

It was very sad when Herbert Fingarette spoke about his late wife, and it was very sad when he was in the garden looking at the flowers. It's a sad film.

Life is wonderful and it seems such an affront that we have to lose it. This video captures that sadness so profoundly. Although not the cheeriest of videos, it also captures the beauty of life and why it's so special, which I think is the reason why I posted it.


Herbert Fingarette once argued that there was no reason to fear death. At 97, his own mortality began to haunt him, and he had to rethink everything. 

 


4 comments:

Peter Pan said...

I intend to commit suicide before losing that amount of mobility. If I can't go for walks in the wilderness, it is checkout time.
I fear a relatively painless death a lot less than a painful one.

Matt Franko said...

bob perhaps consider golf... we have carts for when you get older... its still outside...

Andrew Anderson said...

Life is wonderful and it seems such an affront that we have to lose it. kv

Shortest verse in the Bible: John 11:35

Btw, if you can't believe the Bible, including the Old Testament, the reason is that you haven't read it enough.

Andrew Anderson said...

I looked inside until I was ~45 and finally came to this conclusion: the TRUTH ain't there!

From then on I started looking outside of me.

It's true that humans are not trivial which is why our Creator did not leave us entirely in the dark but has spoken to us through Scripture.

If you want to KNOW then decide what Scripture is (to me it's obviously the Bible), read it, and meditate on it.

Otherwise be warned by this:

The Lord knows the thoughts of men, that they are vain. Psalm 94:11