Friday, January 31, 2020

Maternal low-dose aspartame and stevia consumption with an obesogenic diet alters metabolism, gut microbiota and mesolimbic reward system in rat dams and their offspring

Although I'm a vegan today, I consider myself lucky I was brought up on lard, butter, and milk which all came from grazed, grass fed animals, and so I got plenty of omega 3. My mum stuck to lard and butter even when all our neighbours and my friends went over to vegetable oil and margarine. Although these vegetable oils are a lot healthier now, they were full of artery clogging trans-fats in those days.

Now these sugar alternatives look bad too, which can make epigenetic changes to offspring of rats.

Conclusion: Maternal low-calorie sweetener consumption alongside HFS may disrupt weight regulation, glucose control and gut microbiota in dams and their offspring most notably in early life despite no direct low-calorie sweetener consumption by offspring.


British Medical Journal

Maternal low-dose aspartame and stevia consumption with an obesogenic diet alters metabolism, gut microbiota and mesolimbic reward system in rat dams and their offspring





No comments: