Wednesday, January 15, 2020

2019 capped off the world’s hottest decade in recorded history

It also marked the second-warmest year ever. “What happens in the future is really up to us," said one scientist.


I've got one wheel on my wagon
And I'm still rolling along
The Climate Deniers are after me
I'm all in flames
At the reins
But I'm singing a happy song! 



The past decade was the hottest ever recorded on the planet, driven by an acceleration of temperature increases in the past five years, according to new data released Wednesday by the U.S. government.

The findings, released jointly by NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), detail a troubling trajectory: 2019 was the second-hottest year on record, trailing only 2016. The past five years each rank among the five hottest since record-keeping began. And 19 of the hottest 20 years have occurred during the past two decades.

The warming trend also bears the unmistakable fingerprint of humans, who continue to emit tens of billions of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere each year, scientists say.

The Washington Post




No comments: